Genre-defining Rancid to play

The ska-tinged punk rock of Rancid returns to town 8 p.m. Sunday at Warehouse Live. 813 St. Emanuel St.

During the punk explosion of the ’90s, Rancid broke free of the East Bay and hasn’t looked back since. One of the most respected and well-rounded bands in the scene today, Rancid has fought off fan criticism, personal conflicts and the departure of longtime drummer, Brett Reed. Branden Steineckert, former drummer of The Used, is now manning the kit and the band plans to release its seventh studio album sometime this summer on Hellcat Records.

Rancid was formed after the breakup of the influential ska act Operation Ivy. Tim Armstrong (guitars), Brett Reed (drums) and Matt Freeman (bass) enlisted guitarist Lars Frederiksen in 1994 for Rancid’s second album, Epitaph Records release Let’s Go. The band broke into the mainstream with…And Out Come The Wolves, an instant classic in the genre, defining the band as street storytellers and drawing comparisons to their heroes, The Clash.

Rancid has been known to give local acts a chance to shine and Sunday will be no different, as Complete Control (Austin) and Deathbed Repentance (Houston) will open.

"(Rancid) is the biggest, living iconic band and it is an incredible opportunity to play with them," said Randy Rost, guitarist for Deathbed Repentance.