Wanted’ just a rehash

Based on the popular comic book of the same name, Wanted is a modern-day retelling of the classic hero’s journey with a few twists and turns along the way.

Wesley Gibson, played by James McAvoy, is a nobody. He hates his job, has an unfaithful girlfriend and suffers from frequent panic attacks. Then one night while standing in line at a pharmacy, he crosses paths with the beautiful Fox, (Angelina Jolie), who changes his life forever.

Fox informs Gibson the father he never knew was a member of the Fraternity of Assassins, an ancient order of world-class killers, and was murdered the previous day by a fellow agent gone rogue. She takes him to the fraternity’s headquarters to meet their leader, Sloan, played by Morgan Freeman, who recruits Gibson into the league to avenge his father’s death.

After an intense regimen of physical and psychological training, Gibson learns to harness the innate abilities within him to become a full-fledged member of the fraternity, becoming capable of amazing feats that defy the laws of physics. This puts him on a collision course with his father’s killer, a pursuit that takes him halfway around the world. Gibson has in store surprising revelations about both his lineage and the true nature of the fraternity itself.

While Wanted is an exciting special effects extravaganza, it is far too derivative of other works to be considered a true achievement on any level. From the plot, to the action sequences, to the very characters themselves – there is nothing new to be found here.

While new interpretations of the hero’s journey are certainly valid, there is not enough unique material here to warrant such an exercise. The story does take an unexpected turn here and there, but for the most part it serves as a by-the-numbers action film with your standard fare of fight and chase sequences.

The car chase highlighted in the film’s advertising campaign is straight out of Batman Begins, featuring many of the same stunts and locations. Even further, the climactic showdown at the fraternity’s headquarters is extremely reminiscent of the final confrontation of hero and villain in Equilibrium. The originality, or lack thereof, of characters is no better.

The differences between Jolie’s Fox and her previous roles in Tomb Raider and Mr. ‘ Mrs. Smith are marginal and Morgan Freeman is once again the wise mentor with a streak of sarcasm. While McAvoy’s Gibson is the standout performance, his entire character arc is of the rather predictable "zero to hero" mold.

The film is very deserving of its R-rating. While, a film about assassins is expected to be violent, the death, destruction and gore is often just too gratuitous for anyone’s taste. The language is particularly crass as well.

Although exciting at times, a cliched plot along with excessive, unnecessary violence make Wanted a film that leaves you wanting more from it.