Estess resigns post as provost

Citing health, personal issues and a doctor’s advisement, Ted Estess has, after two months, resigned his post as interim provost and senior vice chancellor and vice president of academic affairs.

The resignation, effective July 21, will be followed by Estess’ leave of absence in Colorado, after which he will resume his role as a professor at The Honors College.

"I liked a lot about the job," Estess said. "There were some dimensions I didn’t care about, but I had a personal agenda to prioritize."

In his role as interim provost and senior vice chancellor and vice president of academic affairs, Estess’ duties entailed meeting with UH President Renu Khator to discuss decisions regarding academic goals and setting the coming school years’ academic agenda. In addition, Estess met with the deans of each school to assist in academic agenda planning as well.

Estess headed The Honors College to 2007 from 1977. He resigned as dean in December 2007. With the opportunity to teach full time now, he plans to return in spring and teach English at The Honors College for years to come.

"I enjoy teaching very much," Estess said. "In an administration job, you don’t teach much. I still intend to help construct and contribute to The Honors College."

While on leave in Colorado, Estess plans to work on research, complete two writing projects, take refuge in nature and "clean air" and visit Rocky Mountain National Park.

"I am a city person and I love Houston," Estess said. "But I will also like to alternate the time in Houston and time of refreshment and greater amount of time."

With his time of isolation and escape from the wild city life, Estess aims to achieve a higher state of self-integration.

"It’s important for a person to be centered and have a sense of inter-harmony and spending four months with my wife will be very enjoyable," Estess said. "This alteration between active life and contemplative life – that rhythm of those two movements of the self and the mutual enrichment of both the active and contemplative life – is a matter of engaging in a process of living one’s life."

As far as The Honors College Dean candidacy, that is still under deliberation, and the future of The Honors College, Estess sees a great future – with or without himself.

"I have no doubt in my mind that The Honors College will flourish and have a wonderful faculty, leadership, staff persons and committed students and devoted alumni," Estess said.

Also effective July 21, Jerald Strickland, assistant vice chancellor for international studies and programs will serve as interim provost and senior vice chancellor and vice president of academic affairs until January, when Khator hopes to have the position permanently filled.