FDA considers Gardasil for men

Even though both females and males are susceptible to genital warts and other less common cancers resulting from the human papillomavirus, only females between the ages of 9 and 26 have been eligible to receive Gardasil, the HPV vaccine, since its Food and Drug Administration approval in 2006.

Gardasil, the treatment of choice to prevent most HPV infections, could be FDA-approved for males by 2009, as reported by The New York Times on Feb. 24.

Although the main side effect of HPV for men is genital warts, some rare types of cancers also pose a threat and vaccinating men would also mean protecting their sexual partners from the risk of acquiring cervical cancer.

"Obviously, the best protection against HPV infections is abstinence. But, of course, not many people do that," said Mike, an economics senior. "So I think that as long as it’s safe, Gardasil should be available for males so that they would be just as proactive about preventing this infection as women are."

The Department of Health and Human Services reported that in addition to the 20 million Americans living with HPV today, despite the availability of an HPV vaccine, this year alone, an estimated 6.2 million Americans will be infected with the virus. In an effort to combat this potentially deadly virus, the University Health Center provides female students, staff and faculty with Gardasil vaccines that can prevent this infection from occurring.

HPV is present in more than 40 types and is the most widespread sexually transmitted infection. Even though many people infected with HPV will not express symptoms, certain strains can cause serious health problems – mainly genital warts and cervical cancer. In fact, all genital warts and about 70 percent of cervical cancers are caused by HPV infections.

"I think that it’s important for women to protect themselves against HPV by getting the vaccine," Women’s Resource Center Director Beverly McPhail said. "However, I disagree with the apparent belief that women are the sole vectors of transmission. HPV is an infection that is transmitted by both sexes, therefore both males and females should be able to protect themselves and their partners from HPV."

Female students, staff and faculty between the ages of 17 and 26 can take the initiative to protect themselves against HPV infections with a simple visit to the University Health Center.

Two years ago, the University Health Center was successful in its endeavor to make Gardasil affordable for students, University Health Center Director Floyd Robinsons said.

"Now students would pay only $35 per injection, which includes office visits and pharmacy co-pay, instead of $173 per visit," Robinson said.

However, for students without student health insurance, injections will cost $173 per visit, a total of $519 for the complete series of vaccinations.

"Even though I don’t have the student health insurance, I still think that it’s important to get vaccinated for HPV," political science senior Annie Noorany.

Student health insurance will be $420 for fall 2008 and $420 for spring and summer 2009. The cost of student health insurance for the summer only is $210.

The majority of students with other types of health insurance plans may also be able to receive the vaccination for little or no charge.

"We cover Gardasil for all fully-insured Humana members ages 9 through 26 who do not have contraindication to the vaccine’s administration," said Humana spokesman Ross McLerran.

For McPhail, educating students is crucial to the prevention of infectious diseases.

"I know some girls who say they can tell whether their partner has STD’s just by looking at them," McPhail said. "Our challenge is to help young people who are sexually active to open up about sexually transmitted diseases. It’s imperative for them to feel that their sexual health is important."