Obama has power to effect real change

Last week much of the nation listened to speeches presented at the Democratic National Convention, hoping to hear the words of comfort our country so desperately needs. At 8 p.m. on Thursday, the much-desired words rang out from the Democratic National Convention, "I accept your nomination for the presidency of the United States of America."

Sen. Barack Obama has returned to U.S. citizens the hope that’s been lost for the past eight years. His speeches offer clarity that is the equivalent of fresh air in a smoggy city. They have allowed the people of this country to realize it is possible to rise above the downward spiral in which we have struggled and endured during President George W. Bush’s eight years in office.

Supported intensely by his family and colleagues, Obama promises many things, none of which seem to be out of his reach. Among the checklist of things to be completed, certain things stand out. Ending the war in Iraq is something the nation knows should have been completed years ago. Obama promises to bring our hardworking troops home for good. He promises to start bringing our economy back up, initiate a universal health care program and provide the best education for the nation’s children from preschool through college.

Having lived through a handful of presidents and presidential speeches, promises are nothing new. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and while fully confident Obama can carry out his promises, cleaning up after Bush’s eight-year mess is not going to be an easy task.

Sen. Hillary Clinton best summed up the work that lay ahead of Obama by saying, "Progress won’t be easy, but it would be impossible if we don’t fight to put a Democrat in the White House." Also, in her speech on Tuesday at the DNC, Clinton brought to the forefront issues not addressed by Bush during his tenure in office. Phrases such as economic stagnation, skyrocketing debt, rising gas prices, home foreclosures and jobs shipped overseas are all attached to the president’s name. The most telling of all was that for many, it is difficult to tell the difference between Bush and Republican hopeful Sen. John McCain.

If we are to rise above the problems created for our country in the past eight years, then we need to take away the cause. Getting the Republicans out of office is the first step, but the only way we can do this is if we, as the people of this nation, join together and unite in our presidential election. The next step is to make sure we don’t allow this to happen again to our country.

Our country reputation relies on getting someone in office who can deliver on his promises. In his own words, Obama says, "America is better than the last eight years. We are a better country than this." He is the type of man our country needs, having the determination and youth to carry out his intentions in a professional manner, with a strong mind and good heart.

MousaviDin, a communication junior, can be reached via [email protected]