Houston tight end gets high mark

There haven’t been too many bright spots for Cougar football in the past three weeks, but sophomore tight end Wesley Scourten added a spark when he was named the Conference USA Special Teams Player of the week Monday after blocking two kicks in Houston’s loss to Colorado State.

"It feels good. Coach (Kevin Sumlin) told me I was going to get some blocks. He said if I did it right (and) if I timed it I would get some blocks," he said.

One of those was on a 36-yard field goal attempt by Colorado State freshman kicker Ben DeLine in the first quarter. Scourten swatted the ball down to prevent the Rams from building on the early lead CSU senior quarterback Billy Farris gave them with a 79-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Dion Morton.

"It was in the play. That was at a crucial time, too," Scourten said. "They were up 7-0, trying to kick a field goal to go 10-0, so I just tried to make a play. I tried to just time it up right so I could just get a little piece of it so we could get the ball back. It worked out."

Scourten also blocked a punt in the fourth quarter that gave the Cougars the ball late in the game. Trailing by three with 1:19 left to play, the Cougars capped the game with a 53-yard drive to the Rams’ 15-yard line, but sophomore quarterback Case Keenum was intercepted by junior defensive back Klint Kubiak to secure the Rams’ win.

"I did field goal blocking in high school. That was my first punt block," he said.