Weekend best bets

Editor’s pick

Artist Allison Merriweather utilizes an array of materials – from recycled tree limbs to copper, paper, pottery and glass – to create sculptures and paintings. Her work will be featured in The Beauty of Disposable Things, Friday through Oct. 31 at The Village Firefly, 2422 Rice Blvd. Admission is free. For more information, call (713) 522-2808.

Today

Rock the Warehouse: Alternative rock band Anberlin from Orlando, Fla. will perform with Straylight Run, Jonezetta and There For Tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Warehouse Live, 813 St. Emanuel St. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at www.warehouselive.com. For more information, visit the venue’s Web site or call (713) 225-5483.

Close to home: Glass Mountain, a UH literary magazines will host a reading in celebration of the fall semester at 5 p.m. at The Honors College. Aaron Reynolds, David MacLean and others will read their work and the event will be followed by an 8 p.m. gathering at Dean’s Credit Clothing, 316 Main St. Peekaboo Theory and the Hueman Group will play at 9 p.m. No cover for people with the Glass Mountain group.

A beautiful reward: Opera in the Heights presents Madama Butterfly. Beautiful music and an exotic setting help tell the tale of a geisha and an American naval officer. The performance will take place at 8 p.m. at Reagan High School, 413 E. 13th St. Opera in the Heights invites everyone who has been involved in the Ike cleanup and people who have come from out of town to attend this performance free of charge. Houston area residents†who are still unable to return to their homes are also invited to attend for free. For more information, visit www.operaintheheights.org or call (713) 861-5303.

Friday

The real tale: The Russian Cultural Center, in collaboration with the Houston Ballet, presents Moscow and Saint Petersburg – A Tale of Two Cities. This exhibition features pastels, watercolors and paintings by contemporary artists living and working in Texas and Saint Petersburg. It will be on view Friday through Dec. 1 in the Wortham Center’s Grand Foyer, 501 Texas Ave. Admission is free. For more information, call (713) 395-3301.

Saturday

D’iacute;a de los muertos: The Alley Theatre, 615 Texas Ave., presents Elaine Romero’s new play, Something Rare and Wonderful on Saturday and Sunday. It is a story centered on the celebration of D’iacute;a de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Nine-year-old Maya and her older sister Pilar celebrate the holiday with rituals that help them learn about death and life. Admission is $10. For more information, call (713) 220-5700.

Sunday

Get your autographs: Local author Vanessa Del Fabbro will promote her latest book, Fly Away Home, the fourth in her South Africa series, with a book signing and discussion. Born in South Africa, Del Fabbro majored in communication and English literature, worked as a journalist and spent a year in England before moving to the United States in 1995. The book signing will be held at 3:30 p.m. at Brazos Bookstore, 2421 Bissonnet St. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.brazos.booksense.com or call (713) 523-0701.