Students aid spy agency in recruitment efforts

To separate themselves from the stereotype that they’re only crime-fighting special agents and spies, the Central Intelligence Agency has teamed up with a UH student advertising agency to increase awareness of job opportunities within the CIA.

Through Edventure Partners, the CIA will work with members of Cougar Concepts, who will be responsible for researching target audiences and creating an advertising campaign promoting the organization.

"Student members of Cougar Concepts are able to use what they learn in school to work toward a tangible goal," said Jaena Strong, public relations director of Cougar Concepts and communication senior.

The project allows students to apply advertising theory they learn in class to a real objective, Strong said. Students also receive a portfolio, which will display evidence of their work.

The CIA is a government agency responsible for gathering and assessing foreign intelligence. Similar to any businesses, the CIA has a human resource department, a finance department and even receptionists.

"The most important feature of an applicant is work ethic. The CIA wants anyone who’s driven to protect and serve the country," Strong said.

Edventure Partners allows students to work with big companies to gain experience in marketing and advertising. Cougar Concepts will focus on recruiting for the National Clandestine Service, the elite arm of the CIA that acquires information crucial to national security, typically only by stealth.

"The CIA came here because Houston is a very diverse school," said Kelly Dubow, advertising senior and public relations coordinator for Cougar Concepts. "They typically look for Hispanic and Asian students, but there is no discrimination. Anyone can apply."

Preferred applicants have degrees in business, communication or technology and are fluent in foreign languages and have an interest in internal affairs. Job opportunities, however, are not limited by degrees. Anyone with a good work ethic and proper motivation can work for the CIA.

In 2004, Edventure Partners chose Cougar Concepts to participate in the unique program. Since then, students have worked in conjunction with Chevrolet, AOL, Yahoo!, the Transportation Security Administration, the U.S. Navy and the Recording Industry Association of America. Participants do not typically go on to work for the company outside UH, but use the experience in other careers.