UH to hold finance forum

A panel of six experts in fields ranging from personal finance and consumer science to global energy will provide a breakdown of the nation’s progression into economic decline.

The event, hosted on Wednesday by the Bauer College of Business, will address concerns of small business owners and consumers by featuring speakers from all realms of finance and economy, including personal finance experts, finance columnists and professors.

Speakers for Bailout: What’s Next include Shannon Buggs, financial columnist for The Houston Chronicle; Jeff Ehling, consumer reporter for ABC 13 KTRK; and Richard Morales, senior vice president of Woodway Financial Advisors.

Bauer College of Business Dean Arthur Warga will also reside on the panel. As the director of the Fixed Income Research Program, Warga is knowledgeable in the pricing of bonds within top universities in the nation.

Director of Bauer’s Global Energy Management Institute and professor of finance Craig Pirrong and Stuart Turnbull, C.T. Bauer Chair of Business Leadership and professor of finance, will also represent UH during the discussion.

In addition to providing a detailed breakdown of the bailout plan, panel members will also speak about the series of events that lead to the economic downturn and ways people can keep their finances intact.

The panelists will also divulge their views on how the crisis will affect industry, small businesses and consumers.

Associate Dean of Graduate and Professional Programs Latha Ramchand will moderate the discussion, which will be followed by a question-and-answer session.

The panel will begin at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Melcher Hall, Room 106. The event is open to the public. For more information, call (713) 743-4701.