Ask Coog: Solutions to be found for academic jitters

Dear Coog,

With the semester’s end only six weeks away, I am finding myself feeling anxious. I am a senior, finally, and will be graduating in December. Do you think it is crazy that I would rather stay in school than face my future right now?

Thanks,

Serious Senior

Dear Serious,

It sounds like you are realizing that playtime is ending. You have worked hard to get where you are as a graduating senior, and there is a great sense of security as a college student. College is a piece of cake when compared to getting an 8 to 5 job, or so I am told. Many seniors are feeling the pressure right now, so take a little comfort in knowing that you are not alone. The best thing you can do is relax. Stressing about life outside of university life is not going to help you.

If you are serious about wanting to stay in school, maybe in the back of your mind you have been tinkering with the idea of grad school. Many students go on to grad school for the very same reason. Talk to your advisor and express your concerns with him or her; they are the one to better point you in the right direction.

I wish you luck in your future, and remember to relax.

Coog

Dear Coog,

My roommate is a slob. She leaves her stuff everywhere, and it has gotten to the point that it is embarrassing when I have my friends over. She usually is not that bad, but for some reason this semester it has gotten out of control. We have been sharing an apartment for more than two years now and are great friends, but I think I will have to find a new roommate if it doesn’t change by the end of the semester. Can you recommend a way for me to tell her without hurting her feelings?

Sincerely,

Flustered Friend

Dear Flustered,

It sounds like you’re in a mess, pardon the pun. Friendship is a valuable and necessary commodity in life, but if living with your friend is causing a strain, then the most important thing you can do is be honest. Considering that you have been friends with this girl for so long, you owe her that. If you two are unable to resolve and rectify the situation, then it may very well be time to move on.

Having a roommate is always going to be a struggle. No two people are alike enough that they can be a perfect blend all of the time. In choosing someone to live with, it is important to be sure that you can stand being around the person and all of their bad habits for a long time. Sometimes taking a step back to evaluate the situation is the best thing you can do.

I hope you and your friend can start with a clean slate.

Coog

Remember, you can ask Coog a question at [email protected]. Look for more advice in every Friday edition of The Daily Cougar!