Season ends for UH soccer team

The Cougar soccer team (6-10-1, 2-7-1 Conference USA) will take the field for the last time this season when they host cross-town rivals Rice (10-7-0, 6-4-0 C-USA) at 7 p.m. at Robertson Stadium.

Seniors forwards Lynn Baker and Brittany Pfeiffer, defender Meghan Kiphart and goalie Shelby Scott will be honored for their career accomplishments before the game, which is Houston’s annual Senior Day.

UH senior goalkeeper Shelby Scott enters the final game in her collegiate career tonight with 19 wins, the most in school history for a goalie. She also holds UH records for career saves (301) and shutouts (13).

The Owls come into the matchup having won three of their last four games and are strong contenders to compete for the conference title when they will host the championship tournament at Rice Soccer Stadium in November.

Freshman forward Jessica Zavalza leads the team with four goals this season and will head the Cougars’ offensive attack against a forceful Rice offense – the Owls have put up 250 shots this season compared to Houston’s 226. Freshman defender Stephanie Derieg, who has emerged as the team’s corner kick and free kick specialist, will provide steady defense on the field.

Six returning starters along with an experienced bench have carried the Owls to a 6-4-0 league record. Rice junior midfielder Shelley Wong leads the team with eight goals on the season and junior forward Erin Scott is right behind her with seven goals.

Rice’s freshman class has taken on a big role this season, with four of the current starting freshmen combining for 41 starts. Rookie midfielder Amy Beger is tied for third on the team with 10 points (3 goals and 4 assists).

Tonight’s game will mark the eighth time the Cougars and Owls have squared off since 2001, with five of the last seven contests having been decided by a single point. The Owls own a 4-2-1 record between the two schools and have won the past five meetings. Last season, Houston dropped a 2-0 decision at Rice, marking the only time in the rivalry’s history that the score was not decided by a one-point margin.

Admission to the game is free for all students with a valid CougarOne card.