New UC would be fitting legacy

After talking with several important figures in the student-initiated renovation project, I found myself quite impressed with the efforts to recharge the University Center.

First off, special thanks need to go out to them: Keith Kowalka, for his time and generosity in providing the necessary documents for research; and Brad Lukanic and Nicole Sopko for their extensive explanations to my many questions.

While only 15 percent of the student population responded to the survey, it was enough to get a general consensus of the UH population as a whole. In fact, the 15 percent was far more than anticipated. Option C was the overwhelming choice by far, and the majority of the respondents were in their junior year. I was fortunate enough to be given the student responses to the survey, and after reading through the 55-plus pages, several concerns were prominent.

Before going any further, this must be aired: the survey was about the renovation to the UC, not the food options. At least every third comment was about food, the choices offered or what should be offered. Didn’t we complete a survey not that long ago about the food options on campus, or did that one go into the trash file as well?

With that said, many students expressed concerns about parking. They hit the nail on the head. You have read it here before, and you are about to read it again – we have too many students and not enough parking available for all of us. The construction process involved in the renovation of the UC building will interfere with the parking situation we face already. However, it can’t be avoided; where there is work being done, there will be equipment trucks and supplies that take up space. This will only be temporary, but inconvenient during the process.

When reviewing the four options given, I gave special attention toward environmental aspects of the project. I am not alone in my concerns. An overwhelming interest expressed by students was regarding the "greenness" of the project.

Option D called for the demolition of the UC building and the construction of an entirely new building elsewhere. This again brings to light the reduction of available parking before and after the process, as well as how environmentally sound the project plans are.

I had the privilege of reviewing the master plan for the project, including all of the proposed plans, and as detailed as they were, very little attention was laid out specifying the use of local materials, recycled products or even local labor. Today’s students are more aware of their world and its future, and developing a "green" environment would allow for a more connected student body.

By mentioning local labor, it is important to note that many UH architecture students responded to the survey, questioning why UH did not utilize the architecture college in the implementation of the plans, nor did they intend to.

The Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture would have been a wonderful place to start. It would have been an educationally responsible decision for all parties involved. Holzman Moss Architecture is undoubtedly a fully capable and deserving firm with whom to implement the plan; however, perhaps it would be best to work with our students studying architecture, allowing them the opportunity to utilize what they have learned thereby, advancing campus pride. Having a facility that was designed and put in place by fellow students is a commendable attribute that would behoove any firm associated with the project.

Equally important were the concerns of students having to pay for facilities they won’t be around to enjoy. Take note, many have also expressed disdain for having to pay for the whole thing before it is even complete. If you think about it, it makes sense that if fees are increased beginning next semester and are continued until the project is paid off, over time those fee increases will remain in place and someone will benefit. Students are concerned that it won’t be them.

Being one of the students that is only on campus long enough to attend classes, the overhaul of the UC won’t be of use to me but it will be for future generations – perhaps my own. To quote co-chair of the UC 2010 Commission Nicole Sopko, "Though most of the students today will not benefit from the new building, we need to look out for the future students of our university. By voting yes on Nov. 18 and 19 we areā€ taking the first steps as future alumni to giving something to the next generation of students."

I am proud to call this campus my own, and any beautification and renovation is welcome, as long as we have a voice in the process. This will be our legacy. The survey should be example enough that students on our campus have something important to say about the decision-making process, especially when it comes to the money we will have to pay. For future reference, turn to the student body and the resources available right here before making your final decision. We love our campus, and only we know what students truly need.

And for what it’s worth, to those who responded to the survey, way to go. We were heard because of you. Those responses were the very thing needed and sought after in making the right choice for the future our UC.

MousaviDin, a communication junior, can be reached via [email protected]