Cougar duo looks to weekend play

Bolstered by two Cougars qualifying for the main draw at the ITA Regionals in Fort Worth, the Cougars return to Houston to host the Cougar Fall Classic on Friday.

Senior Lynley Wasson and sophomore Joanna Kacprzyk make a formidable team – the duo earned a second-best 7-1 record in Conference USA No. 2 doubles last year – and they proved they could hold their own in singles competition at the ITA Regionals.

Both qualified for the main draw at the ITA Regionals on Oct. 26 and finished the tournament with a 4-2 record.

"I am very pleased with the performances this weekend. This tournament is used to challenge our players and match-ups among different spots. It is also used to identify the players’ strengths and weaknesses," head coach John Severance said in a press release.

Houston competed in the Holiday Inn Astrodome Rice Classic on Oct. 17 to 19 to start the fall season. Senior Jordan McCombs advanced to the championship round of the No. 8 singles flight, but fell to Texas State freshman Rachel Cox.

Flight No. 4 doubles partners AKacprzyk and junior Neila Starrat dropped the championship match to the duo of North Texas sophomore Shannon Mackenzie and Texas-San Antonio freshman Lauren Springer.

From Friday to Sunday the Cougars will host the Cougar Fall Classic at John E. Hoff. Admission is free with a valid CougarOne card.