Homecoming events offer scholarships

Following weeks of anticipation, Saturday will feature a day full of events leading up to the Homecoming football game.

Starting off the celebration will be the Homecoming Parade from 2:30 to 3:10 p.m.

At Robertson Stadium, Party Sober: Alcohol-free Tailgate will be held in Tailgate Village. Hosted by the UH Wellness Center, the party features free food, drinks including a non-alcoholic cocktail dubbed "the Mocktail" and free giveaways. Included is a chance to win a $200 gift certificate toward purchases at the UH Bookstore and free rally towels.

The night’s biggest event will be the game. The Cougars will face off against Tulane at Robertson Stadium. Kick-off will start at 7 p.m. At the end of the first quarter, winners of the Homecoming Parade will be announced followed by a presentation of the Homecoming Court during half time. The Homecoming winners will be announced at the end of the third quarter.

Other activities include the 2008 Homecoming Tailgate Challenge hosted by the Houston Alumni Organization on Saturday where monetary awards will be presented to scholarship programs of participating groups. Judging for the entries will be from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. Winning tailgates will be announced during the Homecoming game.

On Monday, the HAO will also sponsor the 26th Annual Homecoming Golf Tournament. Registration, driving and putting contests will begin at 10 a.m. and last till 11:15 a.m. The tournament will take place at Pecan Grove Plantation Country Club in Richmond, Texas.