Polarizing Web site misinforms

The Internet is revolutionizing the dissemination of information all over the world. New ideas can be spread in a matter of seconds, and criticism can be offered at the same time. Along the same lines, disinformation can be spread just as easily, such as the scathing e-mails sent during the election cycle that kept Snopes.com busy. Among the biggest jokes on the Internet (besides Alex Jones’ PrisonPlanet) is Conservapedia.†

The visitor is welcomed with an American flag and bold print proclaiming Conservapedia as "The Trustworthy Encyclopedia." This is put into question once a person clicks on their Article of the Year about atheism or even their article on the theory of evolution. On their article about the theory of evolution – it proclaims that the majority of people who believe it are atheists. This should be news to the many religious people across the world who do not think religion and evolution are mutually exclusive.

In 1996, Pope John Paul II said divine guidance and evolution can go together. He even proclaimed that science guides the material world while religion guides the spiritual and philosophic world. Conservapedia assumes that it is impossible to believe in a higher power and believe in evolution at the same time. Perhaps to a young creationist this is impossible, but carbon dating begs to differ.

Atheism is particularly ridiculed on Conservapedia with a picture of the Marquis de Sade as an example of the "typical" atheist. Atheists are called morally depraved with a quote from Psalms, "The fool hath said in his heart there is no God," as a "reliable" source. Using the same book of the Bible, bashing babies against stones should be a good enough reason for infanticide. This "trustworthy encyclopedia" even asserts that creationists usually win debates against atheists with a source from the Discovery Institute, an organization that promotes intelligent design and wants theocracy.†

Another article links atheism with higher rates of suicide. Nine of the 10 countries with the highest suicide rates are Eastern European countries that have more problems with societal anomie than atheism. Elder suicide is higher in predominantly Catholic countries such as Italy. If people assumed that non-religiosity is linked to suicide, then Iceland and other Nordic countries would have the highest suicide rates in the world.

A conservative online encyclopedia would not be complete without an article on liberals. The American Civil Liberties Union is cited as a liberal organization. However, the ACLU of Florida argued on behalf of Christians to protest a gay pride parade in St. Petersburg, Fla. The city designated free-speech zones and would not allow Christians to protest. After the ACLU became involved, the city changed the ordinance.

The ACLU of West Virginia sued West Virginia University for denying a Mormon student to go on a leave of absence for missionary purposes when it allowed military and medical leave for other students. The ACLU of Wisconsin filed an amicus curiae brief on behalf of pharmacists who denied to fill prescriptions for religious reasons as long as the pharmacist recommended another provider. Clearly, the ACLU has argued for conservative causes.

It is entirely in the right of Conservapedia to have a Web site and spread disinformation. However, it cannot honestly be called a trustworthy encyclopedia with so many factual inaccuracies and clear biases. Conservapedia just repeats talking points and glosses over facts. People should take it as seriously as Infowars or WorldNetDaily for a source of information.

Corgey, a political science senior, can be reached via [email protected]