RUTH RECOMMENDS: Discover coffee cures at Antidote

As the semester comes to an end, many students will find themselves searching for the perfect spot to pound out that final 3,000-word essay or memorize verb conjugations.

So for this edition of Ruth Recommends, I won’t tempt you with diversions such as the 16th Annual TXU Energy Turkey Trot on Thursday or The Riff Riffs show on Saturday at Walter’s on Washington Ave.

Instead I’ll give you the low-down on the best coffeehouse in Houston so you can tend to those much-needed study hours.

Take your books, highlighters and laptop and head to Antidote, 729 Studewood St., at the corner of Studewood and East 8th streets.

Whether you’re looking for a cozy spot to relax with a book or a good cup of Joe to get you through an all-nighter, Antidote, nestled in the heart of the Heights, serves as the perfect study retreat.

The cozy coffee house offers patrons comfortable, vintage couches and an array of coffee blends, an assortment of beer, wine, tea and pastries, friendly service and a free WiFi connection to boot.

Open from 6:30 a.m. to midnight throughout the week, Antidote’s laid-back atmosphere is great for early birds and night owls.

Patrons can purchase $2 Shiner bottles, $4 glasses of house wine and $1 double espresso shots from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday during Antidote happy hour.

Fair-trade blends and organic pastries are also available, and additional perks at the coffee house include board games and movie night on the patio. The first Monday of every month Antidote hosts free movie screenings ranging from documentaries to silver screen favorites.

For more information, call (713) 861-7400, or visit www.myspace.com/antidotecoffee.