Fitzgerald’s concert features local lineup

Tomorrow night, local reggae act Heptic Skeptic reunites for the second edition of the ‘Leave Your Genre At The Door’ concert series at Fitzgerald’s.

The concert will showcase some of the city’s best local talent in a stylistic clash of rock, indie and hip-hop. Heptic Skeptic will headline a bill including local indie-heavyweights the Satin Hooks (and its alter ego Sad Gorilla), News on the March, Nosaprise, hip-hop stalwart Fat Tony and experimental female emcee Perseph 1. The diverse show is expected to bring out fans from each genre.

‘We got a little bit of everything for everyone like an iPod or flea market,’ said Anthony Obi, a communications junior and the real name of rapper Fat Tony.
Fat Tony has recently released a free for download mixtape titled, ‘The Tipping Point & Fly 68 Presents Fat Tony,’ which features his collaboration with Smash Bro. to form the tag team, The Bummy Teenagers. The mixtape can be downloaded from Fat Tony’s official page, www.myspace.com/fattonyrap.

News on the March is fresh off winning ‘Best Unsigned Band-Best of 2008’, presented by the Houston Press. The band has also self-released its latest EP, ‘Glory Be!’

Perseph 1 has been making her name around the underground hip-hop scene by adding creativity and a fast rhyming style. She is assisted by producer/DJ Mark Speers on stage.

Recently, Fitzgerald’s has been home to many local high school acts and death metal bands, a far cry from once being considered one of Houston’s premier clubs, hosting traveling name bands. ‘Leave Your Genre At The Door’ should help restore some credibility into one of Houston’s more cherished clubs.

‘Leave Your Genre At The Door’ begins at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Fitzgerald’s 2706 White Oak. The show is all ages and costs $10 for general admission.