Funds well spent on property

UH may not be home to the largest campus, but does a pretty decent job utilizing the space it has.’ In efforts to add to its land space, UH System has purchased five acres of industrial property located at 9402 Gulf Freeway.’ Although the land was purchased for an undisclosed amount, the asking price was in the tune of $2.8 million, or roughly $29 per square foot, according to an article at the CoStar Group Website at www.costar.com written by Tanya McMillan on Jan. 29, 2009.

No decision has been made in regard to the intended use for the land, which also has over 19,000 square feet of office space; however, UH has many needs and additional space is sorely needed.’

Because the land and building are nearby but not within walking distance, it is presumable that at least for now, the land is most likely not intended for student use.’

‘At this time, we have just begun analyzing what use might work best, particularly knowing that the funds we have for renovating this building are extremely limited in these tight financial times,’ said Dave Irvin, Associate Vice Chancellor/Vice-President of Plant Operations.

This is good to know.’ It offers a little reassurance to hear there is a consideration process with respect to the best use for the property.’ Students are frequently quick to judge when it comes to large amounts of money spent for things unknown, and even quicker to complain if they feel their questions are left unanswered.

Taking this into consideration, Irvin revealed the building on the property has very limited parking, which is already being used for the building and the offices within.’ He also said the University must consider whether it needs to move a function off-campus to the new location and then decide how to best use the resulting empty space on campus.

Because UH utilizes the little space it has relatively well, it is highly doubtful that this was a frivolous purchase.’ There are many possibilities and the list is most likely endless.’

‘UH has the largest space deficit of any campus in the state of Texas (as calculated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board),’ Irvin said. ‘As such, we have a long list of needs and potential uses.’

A common theme is becoming apparent: the need for space and the need for funds.’ It is obvious we have some of each, but not enough, and without one, the other can’t function.’ Our hope is that this land will one day be used for something other than an empty lot, and perhaps UH will make use of it with something that our campus truly needs.

Alana MousaviDin is a communication senior and may be reached at [email protected].