1983: Pitcher today, coach tomorrow

This week in history on March 4, 1983, The Daily Cougar’s Doug Dodson reported that Rayner Noble, a pitcher on the Cougar baseball team, was determined to lead UH to a successful season and build a future in professional baseball in his senior season.

As a team co-captain, Noble said it was his responsibility to keep team morale positive.’

‘I’ve got to be an example for the players, coaches and fans,’ he said. ‘(Co-captain) Charlie (Rizo) and me are like glue to the team. If we fall apart, then they might fall apart too.’
Noble said he always remembered wanting to play baseball in the major leagues.

‘Ever since I was about 8 years old I’ve wanted to play professional baseball,’ he said. ‘I’m good enough to do it, it’s just a matter of doing it.’

Noble won 12 games in his last season and was the first UH pitcher selected to the All-American team.

He was drafted in the fifth round of the 1983 draft by the Astros and played Triple-A baseball, but nagging injuries forced him to stop pursuing a professional baseball career by 1987.

After three-year stints as an assistant coach at UH and Rice, Noble was named Cougar baseball’s seventh head coach in 1994.’

Now in his 15th season at UH, Noble’s teams have made three NCAA super regional appearances and eight NCAA regional appearances.

They have also won three Conference USA regular season titles and three C-USA tournament championships.