Job market uncertain for seniors

For college seniors graduating in May, 2009 is unlike any year in the past two decades.

Usually seniors are enjoying their last few months of irresponsibility as college students, taking blow-off classes and trying to decide which job offer, out of the many, is going to lead them towards their dream jobs.

The class of 2009 does not have time to soak up their last college experiences, because they are busy revamping their r’eacute;sum’eacute;s, attending career fairs and wondering if they will have only job offers by graduation.

‘Every night on the news, I hear another story about a company letting a portion of their employees go,’ biology senior Kristy Nguyen said. ‘Different situations like that make it hard not to be worried about what is in store for us after college.’

A survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) shows hiring for the Class of 2009 is expected to be down almost 2 percent from last year. More than 50 percent of employers say they’re hiring fewer graduates. Government jobs are the only sector that saw any significant increase in hiring expectations.

‘Several available jobs want someone with experience and knowledge of that industry,’ Nguyen said. ‘Normally a degree and internship would counteract the experience, but since so many experienced professionals are out of work and competing for the same job; the company is more likely to go with the professional over some kid.’

E’Toisha Washington, psychology senior, agrees it is a difficult job market to graduate into, but she has a positive outlook.

‘The downturn in the economy might give the younger generation a better chance of getting a job than the experienced professionals, because we are willing to take entry-level pay,’ Washington said.

Though the job market is rough, there are still jobs available.

Maybe they aren’t our dream jobs, but they are jobs with benefits and a decent salary.

‘We, the class of 2009, need to lower our expectations of the sign on bonuses and large salaries and take the jobs that are available,’ Washington said. ‘The economy will turn around again, and when it does we will have a few years work experience.

‘We will be ready to go after that dream job.’

Career counselors advise undergraduate seniors to look beyond their areas of expertise, network within their circles and continue to apply to jobs they find available.

The best advice is to apply to anything that interests you, and remember, you can’t be too picky. I would also suggest, to students that already have part-time jobs, to continue to work there until something utilizing your degree comes up.

Ashley Strawmyer is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected].