Insurance guarantees a safer trip

Despite the weather, you have major plans for spring break.

Whether hanging out at home or planning to make a debut on Girls Gone Wild – you will need insurance.

‘Based on my past experiences, we will see an increase of students with minor injures just after spring break,’ student insurance coordinator at the UH Health Center Sherry Vaughn said.

The UH student insurance policy by Macori, Inc. states it ‘covers all participating students 24 hours a day anywhere in the world, at school, at home or while traveling including all vacation periods.’

Say you are partying on a beach somewhere in the U.S. and decide to go swimming. There happens to be an angry shark nearby. You survive, but have been rushed to the nearest medical facility.

You’re covered.

If you, the beach, hospital and shark happen to be in Mexico, you pay out of pocket first, but are still covered.

When asked, Vaughn said she wanted to emphasize the best plan of action when traveling is to call the insurance company beforehand. If you do have an accident abroad, you will most likely pay out of pocket first.

‘When traveling abroad, have the facility take care of the injury, pay in full there, get a receipt or bill. Then take the receipt home, fill out a claim form and send it to the insurance company,’ Vaughn said. ‘But first you want to call the insurance company and let them know where you are planning to go.’

However, add alcohol to any of the said scenarios or the like and no soup for you.

Vaughn said students, who are of drinking age choosing to drink, should do so responsibly. This is an important point since any injury resulting from alcohol would void potential claims.

‘I would hope that as young adults, students of (drinking) age, would drink responsibly,’ Vaughn said.

Macori policy exclusions No. 23 states you won’t be covered if the, ‘Expense incurred for injury or sickness caused by, contributed to or resulting from the covered person’s use of alcohol, illegal drugs or use of legal medicines that are not taken in the dosage or for the purpose as prescribed by the covered person’s doctor.’

There isn’t anything more exciting than reading the fine print of an insurance policy, but there are alternatives.

‘Anyone with student insurance should be sure to carry their insurance card to whatever destination, and if going out of town, call the insurance company and direct any specific questions toward them,’ Vaughn said.

The UH Health Center will be closed only March 19 and 20. Students with UH insurance can direct questions by calling (281) 651-8787 or visiting http://www.macori.com.

Trae Browne is a communication sophomore and may be reached at [email protected].