Candidates compete in runoff for majority vote

Communication senior Kenneth Fomunung became interested in student government the summer of his second year in college.

He said even though he has no experience with the Student Government Association, he has experience with serving his community.

‘My motivation (to run for SGA president) stems from the fact that I come from a small country, Cameroon, where the opportunity for higher education has been designated by the government as a privilege rather than a necessity,’ Fomunung said.

Fomunung is the communication social chair for National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and his running mate Prince Wilson is the president of the organization.

‘Through this organization we have participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, partnered with the local community outreach group Generation One Inc. in Hurricane Ike clean-up relief efforts, and participated in blood drives on campus with St. Luke’s Hospital,’ Fomunung said.

Conscious of his inexperience with SGA, Fomunung says he researched the association before getting involved.

‘I reached out to (SGA President) Sam Dike prior to the election process and he gave me some information,’ Fomunung said.

Fomunung said interacting with different types of people will provide the information necessary to uplift the lives of students at UH.’

‘One of the key points of the Student Government Association is empowerment for students. How can students be empowered when they feel neglected?’ Also, having (campus) unity is essential,’ Fomunung said.

Fomunung also looks to President Barack Obama as a role model for him.

‘Barack Obama really intrigues me. What really fascinated me was that he was able to bring people together and stay above the fray of traditional negativity found in politics,’ Fomunung said.

Fomunung turned to his family for advice during the campaigning process.

‘I am a family man and Prince and I always begin our campaigning with prayer,’ Fomunung said.’ ‘My dad and brother have helped me throughout this as well.’

Student government runs in the family, as his older brother is the president of the student government at the The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

‘I had declared my candidacy when I found out that my brother had won his campaign, and his victory inspired me to win this election,’ Fomunung said.