Valenti paid homage by colleague

Lance Funston saw the renaming of the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication as the perfect opportunity to honor his mentor and improve the swiftly growing school that bares his name.

Funston, a political science alumnus, donated $1.5 million to the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication on March 5.

‘This particular gift was because of my affection for Jack Valenti,’ Funston said. ‘He was a very important influence in my life.’

Funston, chairman and chief executive officer of Telamerica Inc., came to UH from Charles H. Milby High School, less than 15 minutes from the University.

‘Though I was a political science major, I spent all my time in the communication department, so I have very fond memories of those early experiences,’ Funston said. ‘

Michael Berryhill, assistant professor of journalism, attended Milby High School with Funston and remembers him as someone he admired.

‘Lance was really sharp, funny, a great speaker and very smart,’ Berryhill said. ‘He was the head cheerleader. You can’t be a bigger man on campus than to be the head cheerleader – well I guess there’s the head quarterback on the football team, but that wasn’t what Lance was about. He was very popular and very well liked.’

Funston also excelled on the school’s debate team, becoming a champion debater. ‘

‘We were all in the speech and debate club,’ Berryhill said.’ ‘Lance was a speech-tournament type of guy. Lance came to UH, and in his freshman year, his picture is all over the Daily Cougar as a debate champion. ‘

Funston attended UH on scholarship, where his debate talent bloomed, and he became a star on UH’s forensics team.

‘Here you have this scholarship guy (who) took six years to get through college,’ Berryhill said, ‘but Welcome Wilson gave him one of his first jobs.’

It was through this partnership with Wilson, chairman of the Board of Regents, that Funston met Valenti, a UH communication alumnus.

‘Jack and Welcome were in a sort of Houston version of the rat pack,’ Funston said. ‘I worked for that group back in the days when Jack was in the private sector at the Weekley and Valenti ad agency.’

When Valenti went to Washington, D.C. to serve under President Lyndon Johnson, Funston wasn’t far behind. C.T. Bauer College of Business alumnus William Sherrill accompanied Valenti and wanted Funston to come along.

‘Mr. Sherrill asked me to join him as his assistant,’ Funston said. ‘It was a great opportunity.’

Funston had not yet finished his degree, so special arrangements were made with George Washington University so that he could complete his education there.

After finishing at UH, Funston became the third alumnus ever accepted into Harvard Business School.

‘Valenti and Sherrill used their influence to help me to gain admission,’ Funston said.’ ‘UH wasn’t as recognized as it is today.’ I’m sure today it ranks at the very top.’

Funston said Valenti was a guiding influence in his life.

‘Mr. Valenti was very quick to help all of his friends at a critical junction in their respective careers,’ Funston said. ‘My son wanted to attend the American Film Institute, and Mr. Valenti assisted him. The list goes on. Any time anyone needed assistance, Jack was there.’

Funston said he had mixed feelings when the UH school of communication was renamed.

‘I was thrilled, but I was very disappointed to see the condition of the building,’ Funston said. ‘I felt as though the honor of renaming the program after Jack justified improving the building to a standard that was consistent with the man (for whom) it was named.’

Berryhill said the expansion comes not a moment too soon.

‘We’re just bursting at the seams here,’ Berryhill said.’ ‘We’ve got 1,500 students, and we are the biggest major in the college of liberal arts, next to psychology. We desperately need classroom and new production space. It’s a tremendous seed grant because the idea is to match the grant.’

The building has stood for more than 30 years without expansion.

‘It’s been here since 1977, and it’s been a long time coming,’ Berryhill said. ‘The need for expanded facilities, the interest students have in communication and the role that technology plays in communication is what makes the building expansion a great thing for the students as well as the faculty.’

Jack J. Valenti School of Communication will honor Funston at the annual awards luncheon on April 13.

With his donation to the school and passion for student advancement, Funston follows in the footsteps of his mentor.

‘Valenti was enormous and generous by virtue of the breadth and reach of his influence,’ Funston said. ‘He was very effective at making things happen.’