UH break dancers unite, bust moves

A team of UH students are competing in a National B-boy League break dancing battle Saturday as members of Campus Breakers United.’

‘We are going mainly to have a good time and get exposure to other breakers,’ said Nathan Leung, chemistry junior and CBU member.

The competition will include an exhibition dance battle by Mudd Pitt and Guse.

‘They are young and they are really amazing,’ Leung said.

CBU hosts an open dance session every Tuesday and Wednesday at the Cougar Den from 7 to 9 p.m.

‘If you can walk, you can dance. Everyone is invited to come to our weekly dance sessions. All levels are welcome, we can show you basic aspects of breaking,’ Leung said.

‘Our mission is to promote the four elements of hip-hop: DJing, Emceeing, breaking, and graffiti art.’ Leung said.

Doung said CBU wants to uplift the B-boy scene by providing dancers with a place to practice and hang out with people with similar interests.’

‘It’s more like a community, not a crew, but we may one day head in that direction,’ Doung said.

Duong said he also found the CBU’s experience so far to be rewarding.

‘I came to know the breaking scene about two years ago, but I do not consider myself a B-boy, I’m more of a promoter than anything, I really like the art of B-boying and I really support its movement upwards and feel that B-boys deserve more recognition, also, I’ve made a lot of good friendships because of it,’ Duong said.

CBU will screen the break dance documentary Planet B-boy at 6 p.m. Monday in the Spindletop Room, University Center.

Today CBU will put on the break dance showcase Collision, with an organization.

The competition starts at 2 p.m. at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center basketball courts. The finals and show will begin at 8 p.m. and is free to students with Cougar 1Card.

Saturday’s NBL battle will run from 2 to 10 p.m. at the Houston YMCA at 7903 South Loop East. Tickets cost $12, and $15 for those bringing cameras.