Guns on campus?

Firearms may hinder University’s bid for flagship status

Alana MousaviDin

Does Texas really believe allowing concealed weapons on college campuses would make for a safer environment?

If this bill is passed and made into law, then that is exactly what they are proposing.

Although it is difficult to think about, the massacres that have occurred in the past at Virginia Tech (2007), Shepherd University (2002), University of Arizona (2002), Appalachian School of Law (2002), University of Arkansas (2000), San Diego State (1996), University of Iowa (1991), and University of Texas at Austin (1966) were all horrible, deadly incidences of people snapping under pressure.

As stressed out and defensive as people are today, it is not a smart idea to give them guns to hide and carry around.

Aside from the safety issues, if UH allows concealed weapons on campus it doesn’t make our school seem as attractive to outsiders. It sends the message our security isn’t adequate, so we have allowed our students to fend for themselves.

It wouldn’t be a smart move for a university that is working so diligently to become a flagship school. In fact, it could very well prove to be a factor to prevent UH from gaining the trust of the parents who will be sending their kids to college soon.

Alana MousaviDin is a communication senior and may be reached at [email protected].

Carrying weapons an act of self-defense for law-abiding citizens

Matthew Keever

If students were allowed to carry guns on campus, students would be able to handle disagreements the old-fashioned way with a showdown.

The UH Student Handbook prohibits the possession of a firearm on campus, but why? Wouldn’t people prefer some students on campus have guns than be left helpless if the campus’ security were threatened?

Yes, we have law enforcement and other security in place, but if a hostile situation were to arise, I would want to be able to defend myself.

The issue is a Catch-22. If students are allowed to carry firearms, many of them will feel much safer, just as many will feel more wary, and rightfully so.

The supposed threat of violence on campus would feel more imminent.’ If violence were to occur, it might be concerning a simple disagreement or childish squabble.

Those who wish to get a gun illegally will always be able to do so. For this reason, law-abiding, licensed citizens should be able to carry guns on campus.

Legislation prohibiting guns only stops the law-abiders, leaving criminals to do as they wish, but if guns become permitted on campus, will more criminals be created, and will the consequences be more deadly?

Matthew Keever is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected].

Gun law presents dangers in schools, workplaces

Andrew Taylor

Lawmakers are working on a bill to make it legal to have a concealed handgun in your car while you are at work.

This is already legal to some extent, but some employers prohibit carrying firearms onto the premises.

Employers such as NASA and various chemical plants prohibit workers and even some security guards from carrying loaded weapons.

This terrible situation hit close to home in April 2007 as a gunman managed to sneak a handgun past NASA security and fatally wound a co-worker because of anonymity and a previous dispute.

These dangers are real and too costly to play around with.

If the bill were to be passed, employers would no longer have the right to prohibit gun possession.This bill would make guns present on campus and present a myriad of dangers.

If guns become legal to bring in the workplace, will professors and teachers be allowed to bring hem to campuses as well? Will the bill eliminate no-gun zones? If school is a student’s premier job, do they get to bear arms?

The larger, more in-your-face presence of guns in hard times may not be the best thing for all or any of us.

Andrew Taylor is an economics junior and may be reached at [email protected].