Houston flattens Prairie View

The Cougars wrapped up an 18-3 regular season with a 7-0 win over Prairie View A&M on Friday at John E. Hoffs Courts.

The victory was also a milestone for head coach John Severance, who tied Cathy Beene for the most victories in program history (84).

In doubles action, UH swept all three matches to take a 1-0 lead.

Sophomore Lucy Forward and senior Vicky Simpson took care of senior Melanie Brown and junior Bianca Simpson, 8-5, in the No. 1 match. In the No. 2 doubles spot, senior Jordan McCombs and sophomore Laura Ring topped freshmen Margaret Banks and Muashe Mukani, 8-4. Sophomore Joanna Kacprzyk and senior Lynley Wasson trumped freshman Melissa Guerrier and senior Charli Cooksey, 8-2, in the No. 3 slot.

UH continued to dominate in singles, as all six Cougars scored straight set victories.

Forward blanked Brown in the No. 1 match, 6-0, 6-0. Ring kept the Cougars rolling in the No. 3 spot with a 6-0, 6-2 win against Guerrier. The Cougars’ biggest scare came in the No. 4 slot, where Kacprzyk defeated Makuni, 6-3, 6-1.

The Cougars’ three seniors, Wasson (No. 2) Simpson (No. 5) and McCombs (No. 6), all earned 6-0, 6-0 victories in their final matches at Hoff Courts. Severance was pleased with the trio’s sendoff.

‘I thought the win was special for them,’ he said. ‘It gave them a lasting memory they will be able to keep with themselves for the rest of their lives.’

The Conference USA Championships are next for UH. The event will be held April 16-19 at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium at Rice University.