1991: Barnett gives first President’s Report

This week in history on April 16, 1991, the University marked ‘UH Appreciation Day’ with a victory celebration at the University Hilton and then-president Marguerite Ross Barnett’s first President’s Report.

Barnett became the first black woman to lead a major public university in the U.S. when she took the position in 1990.’

‘What you want to do during the first year is to get a number of initiatives started, and over the following years, implement them,’ Barnett said, The Daily Cougar reported.

UH Appreciation Day received proclamations from then-governor Ann Richards and then-mayor Kathy Whitmire. Barnett credited the spirit of the University for garnering public support.

‘They understand that ‘hellip; we are a very special institution that reflects the can-do spirit of this city and this state, even in very difficult times,’ Barnett said.’

The victory celebration also marked the end of a five-week fundraising campaign, which then-University Campaign General Chair Ted Estess said focused more on a high percentage of participation from faculty and staff, rather than a monetary goal.’

Along with former Presidents George Magner and Phillip Hoffman, Estess presented a facsimile check for $236,258.51 to Barnett at the celebration.