Secession not feasible, Texas dependent on US resources

Texas’ status as a once independent country before joining the U.S. is a point of pride for most Texans, and one which no other state has a right to claim.

Occasionally, however, this nationalistic pride becomes inflated and provoked enough to cause Texans to voice their need for secession, such as during Wednesday’s tea parties.

Thousands gathered across the U.S. to voice their concerns regarding taxes as well as the state of the economy.

In Texas, Gov. Rick Perry hinted at Texas leaving the Union if lawmakers continue to ignore state concerns on Capitol Hill.

So, should Texas secede from the United States?

Ignoring the reality of whether secession could (or would be allowed) to happen, think about how life would be without the presence of the federal government.

No more federal taxes or federal laws to worry about, for that matter.

Energy wise, we have our own power grid and house many of the world’s oil and gas headquarters. We also have a profitable port. We could survive, but only for a short time.

Without the protection of the U.S., Texas would fall prey to Mexico’s growing drug war. Also, it would soon, if not immediately, be condemned and embargoed by the U.S., making its profitable port swiftly useless.

Federal aid would cease, and Texas would have to implement more and higher taxes to support the fledgling nation.

So, should Texas secede? The answer is no. Even though the State Department may (accidentally) list it as an independent nation, it is most definitely not one, and nor is it ready for the title.

Sorry, secessionists – Perry may have given you hope, but the truth is, secession won’t be a reality any time soon.