Is UH doing enough?

Shaista Mohammed

When Hugh Roy Cullen donated funds for the first building to be constructed on campus, he had a vision of the University that included a mandate to serve the community. Since then, UH has extended not only education, but also community support to the surrounding area.’

The Child Welfare Education Project is a masters’ level training program for UH social work graduate students intending to work with Child Protective Services.’

Peace Jam is an organization that provides youth with the opportunity to meet and work directly with Nobel Peace Prize laureates to incorporate and further pass on their ideals.

Charity is about more than giving money.’ In truth, the time of skilled, dedicated volunteers is invaluable.’

At UH, each member organization chooses both a national and local charitable group to support.

Chi Omega, one of many Greek organizations on campus, sponsors Make-A-Wish Foundation nationally and The Center Serving Persons with Mental Retardation locally with fundraising and volunteerism when the opportunity allows.’

One of the Chi Omega alumni started involvement with The Center in the ’50s, and Chi Omega’s involvement is mostly in the realm of on-site volunteering.

There are areas needing improvement on the institutional end of things, but the human contribution for service at UH is well-covered.’

Alana MousaviDin

Judging by the past and current efforts by fellow Cougars, charity work and volunteerism appears to be a natural instinct of UH students.’

From helping out children to dressing in drag for a few giggles in the process of helping others, our students have excelled in every attempt of charity work.

We’ve had fashion shows, music releases, auctions, fight nights and much more, all in the name of charity.’

While some of these events may not have been performed by UH students, they did have a huge part in the organization and execution of the event.’

One recent and powerfully effective volunteer opportunity was after Hurricane Ike.’

The compassion and selflessness of students was inspiring to say the least.’

Everyone was affected by Ike in one way or another, and to take the precious time and energy – when many of us lacked it – to get out there and work their butts off for zero pay, is gratification at its best.

Our campus hosts many different opportunities to volunteer or participate, and regardless of what your cup of tea may be, there is an organization for everyone.’

An hour a week is something we can and should be able to spare for the sake of others less fortunate.

Matthew’ Keever

Given the University of Houston’s mandate to serve the local community, the recent events concerning the magic show, Where’s the Rabbit?, seem infuriating.

The Cullen Performance Hall was supposed to host the magic show, benefiting patients at Texas Children’s Hospital.’

However, numerous miscommunications between the performance hall, student organizations and the magician Robby Bennett, caused the charity to fall through, as reported in ‘Magic Show for charity canceled,’ (April 17, News).

Everyone is pointing fingers at one another, so figuring out what exactly happened seems unlikely.

Bennett said he mourns the fiasco, citing the unexpected increase in cost to rent the hall would have taken too much away from the event.’

Then he said the event’s goal has been tarnished.’

He mentioned a young girl who had received clearance from her doctors to go to the show. Bennett took the young girl out for a night on the town Saturday in lieu of the canceled show.

Sure, UH should definitely be involved in charities, but we should make sure everything is worked out.’

UH may not be to blame, but regardless, we need to follow up on this kind of thing. Otherwise, local newspapers slam us. Meanwhile, the rest of the Houston community will wonder why we think we deserve Tier 1 status.