Head coach denied mulligan

The UH golf team will have a new leader next season, as Vince Jarrett’s contract was not renewed.

Interim Athletics Director John A. Robinson did not go into the specifics, but alluded to UH’s desire to make a change in his comments following the announcement.

‘We thank Coach Jarrett for his six years of service, and we appreciate everything he has done,’ Robinson said in a press release.

During his six-year tenure at UH, Jarrett’s teams never placed higher than fifth in Conference USA. This seasons’ seventh-place showing was the Cougars’ lowest finish under Jarrett. The program finished fourth the year before Jarrett arrived.

Robinson said the University is searching for a replacement and referenced the school’s winning history, which includes a run of five consecutive C-USA titles from 1997 to 2001. UH’s golf program has won 16 national titles, with the most recent coming in 1985.’

‘The University of Houston has a proud history in golf and our next coach will continue that tradition,’ Robinson said.

Bennett put on watch list

Senior Carl Bennett was named to the Spring Watch List for the Rimington Trophy, becoming one of 12 members from last year’s list to be named again in 2009.

In addition to recognizing the nation’s premier center, the Rimington Trophy – created in 2000 – has raised more than $1.3 million for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

The award would be a fitting cap to what has been an excellent career at UH. Bennett was named to the C-USA All-Freshman team and became a starter the following season. In 2008, he was an All-C-USA candidate, further proof that the conference recognizes his importance to the Cougars.

Baseball, softball bounced from conference tournaments

The baseball and softball team’s seasons were cut short, as both teams failed to return to the NCAA regional. Unlike last year, neither team was able to shake their inconsistencies.
For baseball, the pill was harder to swallow as they came within one win of reaching the C-USA championship game, after losing to cross-town rival Rice, 7-2. The women exited earlier, falling to Southern Miss 5-4 on the first day of the C-USA tournament.