Toxic behavior needs cleaning

Startling messages evolking fear, hate and ignorance constantly plague our society. Some Americans welcome people who harness the latter two. Politicians and television show hosts who confuse themselves with news anchors repeat these views and only serve to advance them.

In 2005, Bill O’Reilly of Fox News’ The O’Reilly Factor shifted his own hate campaign into top gear, referring to Dr. George Tiller, a family physician who performed late-term abortions, as a ‘monstrous killer.’

In ‘The Obama Haters’ Silent Enablers,’ published June 13 in The New York Times, Frank Rich reports on O’Reilly’s nefarious comments: ‘The network’s highest-rated star, Bill O’Reilly, had assailed Tiller, calling him ‘Tiller the baby killer’ and likening him to the Nazis on 29 of his shows before the doctor was murdered at his church in Kansas.’

O’Reilly recently responded to such comments as ordinary liberal hate. He claims the far left is ‘exploiting’ the killing of Dr. Tiller and ‘hating Fox News is the real agenda.’

O’Reilly is only proving people might have a real reason to hate Fox News. If anything should invoke hate, it’s the lies and fear-mongering Fox News is all too responsible for. The burden is not just on Fox however; it also falls heavily on conservatives who do not speak out and urge party members to condemn this insanity.

The conservative right has left itself tarnished and few Republican leaders seem to have the integrity to speak out. Much of this was reheated and stirred in the 2008 presidential elections. McCain and Palin led the way, originally accusing Obama of ‘palling around with terrorists,’ further fueling the fire.

It is important to note that not all conservative commentators and politicians spew toxic garbage, but those few are the minority.

At a recent National Republican Congressional committee fundraising dinner, actor Jon Voight addressed a crowd of Republicans, including Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin. Voight received applause and widespread cheers when he said, ‘We need to bring an end to this false prophet Obama.’

Some have harbored hate and contempt for the election results, taking any chance they get to ridicule our president, encourage fear and criticize. We as Americans have become more divided as a nation because of it. This is truly toxic behavior and cannot be allowed to continue.

Andrew Taylor is an economics junior and may be reached at [email protected]