Suicide rates increase in bad economy

The federal government is notorious for amassing large amounts of debt, but state governments have been accumulating hefty sums as well.

Texas continues to fare better than other states, but it is still experiencing the impact of the worldwide recession. Medical experts reason mental health and suicide rates have taken a turn for the worse due to the downturn.

Across the country, crisis hotlines are overwhelmed, counseling services are a hot commodity and shelters that treat domestic violence are crowded.

Paul Barkley, 43, began to have financial difficulties after the stock market crumbled. The investment adviser decided his only solution to easing his agony was to walk off the 11th floor of a building. His last contact with his wife was sent to her in a text message: ‘I am going crazy at work. Sorry to you and everyone.’

Depression overtook Barkley after his most important clients became infuriated at the amount of money lost in the market. Suicides have continued to swell in Houston.

According to the Texas Workforce Commission, 69,600 jobs were lost in Houston alone between June 2008 and July 2009.

Barbara Silvers, a local artist and writer, was financially overwhelmed. After her husband’s income significantly decreased, her behavior went awry. Weeks later she shot herself in her home.

According to her husband, the downfall in the economy accounted for the elevation in her emotional distress and was the predominant cause of her suicide.

Many people’s situations are becoming progressively dire, and they are feeling and helpless and hopeless.

In the 1929 stock market crash, difficult times led to suicides, and one would think that history is repeating itself. When times are tough, everyone says that conditions will improve When times are good, no one bothers to mention that conditions could get awful.

People should remember the pendulum swings both ways. Joseph Heller once wrote in his famous book Catch-22, ‘anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.’

Katie Edwards is an English sophomore and may be reached at [email protected]