Politics plague reporters release

Former President Bill Clinton won the release of two U.S. journalists held captive by North Korea. He was in the country for less than 24 hours, three and a half of which were spent with Kim Jong Il.

The announcement of Euna Lee and Laura Ling’s release followed a face-to-face meeting between Clinton and the ever-friendly Kim.

The Current TV LLC journalists were convicted of illegally entering the country after being caught filming a report on the border region with China on March 17.

The North Korean government formally sentenced Lee and Ling to 12 years of hard labor. For five months, the women were detained, but were allowed to communicate with their families back home.

Further complicating the matter is the tension between North Korea and the U.S. over North Korea’s nuclear armament. Luckily for the two women, Kim agreed to visit with former President Clinton.

Clinton’s discussion could put President Barack Obama’s administration in a tight spot. According to the Wall Street Journal, although the White House attempted to set up parameters for the former president’s talk with Kim, it was apparent that the two’s conversation had moved beyond the journalists.

Comments on the Wall Street Journal article are overwhelmingly negative, criticizing Clinton, the Obama administration or both.

‘This had absolutely nothing to do with a country standing up for its citizens. This was about image,’ commenter Jonathan Stanley said.

All politics aside, two journalists who were jailed in the ‘hermit kingdom’ for practicing the First Amendment are home.

It doesn’t matter if this is good publicity for Clinton, bad publicity for Obama, or if people have forgotten about Hillary. Two journalists are home, so we should follow their families’ lead and celebrate.

Matthew Keever is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected]