GI bill helps many, leaves others in cold

The Post-9/11 GI bill took effect Aug. 1. This bill gives veterans and their dependents money for school and housing. The amount of support depends on where the veteran lives and what type of degree they plan to pursue.

The program was co-sponsored by President Barack Obama when he was a senator from Illinois, passed by Congress and signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2008.

The benefits for veterans who completed their service include a monthly housing allowance and funding for tuition and fees. The tuition funding covers up to the most expensive in-state tuition at a public college or university in the given state where eligible recipients decide to attend school. They also receive an annual stipend of up to $1,000 for books and supplies.

The benefits are a little different for active duty personnel, who have no cap on tuition payments, but are excluded from the monthly housing allowance.

On Aug. 3, Obama traveled to George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. to mark the start of the bill with a speech.

‘We do this not just to meet our moral obligation to those who sacrificed greatly on our behalf and on behalf of the country,’ Obama said. ‘We do it because these men and women must now be prepared to lead our nation in the peaceful pursuit of economic leadership in the 21st century.

‘Education is the currency that can purchase success in the 21st century, and this is an opportunity that our troops have earned.’

The bill may help those who served after Sept. 11, but many veterans who served prior to that date are voicing their frustration. In an article published on ABC News’ Web site, many veterans voiced their disappointment.

‘I think this bill is great for those veterans who have not gone to school yet, and I am happy for them. I would like to know; What are they going to do for people like me?’

Brandon Held commented on the article. ‘I served four years in the Air Force, four years in the Army and then went to school to get a B.A. in communications and then on to an M.B.A., but because my GI Bill was so insignificant, I collected $65,000 in student loan debt.’

The bill does have restrictions, but helping some is better than helping none. It is always easy to criticize an administration for what it is not doing instead of recognizing its accomplishments.

Some people will not be able to take advantage of the bill, while others will not receive as much as they need. Many will have their prayers answered and will be able to afford to return to school.

Reserve and National Guard members are included in the bill because of their unprecedented number of deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq in the last eight years.

The bill also allows unused benefits to transfer. If a veteran does not want to go to college, but wants to use their benefits to assist a family member seeking higher education, they can.

‘We are including those who paid the ultimate price by making this benefit available to the children of those who lost their lives in service to their country,’ Obama said.

The sacrifices of these military families are astounding. Although there may not be a perfect way to compensate or thank them, this bill is a step in the right direction.

This is more than gratitude; it is an investment in America.

Matthew Keever is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected]