Target teams with big-name designers

In these depressing times, it can be hard to remain in vogue with the evolving world of fashion, but there is light at the end of this runway.

Many designers have returned to the drawing board, realizing that everyone cannot afford their latest $2,185 hand-knit skirts or $920 leather cutout thigh-highs from the spring collections. The on-campus fashionistas will appreciate this.

Target and arch-nemesis Wal-Mart always seem to be on the mark when it comes to their approach for retaining customers.

Three years ago, Target began collaborating with world-renowned designers to create affordable fashions. The first of these was the Designer Collaboration series with Alexander McQueen.

Soon after, Target created GO International, which features young designers as muses to create collections that are fun, fashionable and affordable.

Thakoon Panichgul, Isaac Mizrahi Erin Fetherston and Richard Chai have worked with Target on this project in the past. This fall, GO International will be working with Anna Sui and Rodarte.

Sui’s new line for Target consists of 19 Gossip Girl inspired looks, which include high collars, boho-chic dresses, New York schoolgirl attire and a hint of punk, all based on the CW’s television series.

The line will hit 250 select stores and be available online Sept. 13. It will be available through the middle of October and most items will be priced under $50.

The Mulleavy sisters are the brains behind Rodarte, available in Target stores by Dec.
‘What you’ll notice is an amazing eye for detail,’ Target spokesman told Women’s Wear Daily.

‘It’s very feminine, yet very modern. The collection incorporates a rich mix of patterns and fabrications and everything from sequins and bows to faux fur. The key with Rodarte is layering. There are stand-alone pieces and pieces that can be worn together to create an ensemble by layering different patterns, textures and prints.’

Items in the 55-piece collection range from $9.99 to $79.99.

In an effort to boost sales, other retailers have had famous names create looks for them. Max Azria and Miley Cyrus have lent their services to Wal-Mart, while Charlotte Ronson has done the same for JC Penny.

Today’s lesson is that you do not have to be the heir to the Hilton fortune to look fabulous.