Social networking still presents risks

When discussing social networks such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter, cautionary words are usually directed at young people.

Adolescents are advised not to meet people or make friends solely through social Web sites.

They are also told to make their profiles private and only upload pictures that would not offend their bosses and professors.

These words hold validity, but everyone, including adults and young professionals, should be careful on these Web sites. If users are not careful about who is following their profiles, updating a Facebook status or tweeting about a trip can be dangerous.

According to Reuters, a survey of 2,092 social media users conducted by British-based Legal & General found nearly 38 percent of networking Web sites users post details about their holiday plans. A slightly smaller concentration of people, 33 percent, post details of their weekend away.

In addition to travel and vacation plans, millions of people tweet about purchases and presents and post party photos that display the interior of their home.

‘Coupled with the finding that an alarmingly high proportion of users are prepared to be ‘friends’ online with people they don’t really know, this presents a serious risk to the security of people’s home and contents,’ Legal & General told Reuters.

Reuters also interviewed reformed burglar Michael Fraser, who appears in BBC’s Beat The Burglar series and helped Legal & General prepare the report. He said professional burglars use the type of information displayed on social networking Web sites to establish a list of potential victims.

‘There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that burglars are using social networks to develop relationships with people to identify likely targets,’ Fraser said. ‘It is incredibly easy to use social networking sites to target people, and then scope out more information on their actual home … all from the comfort of the sofa.’

Younger users felt dismay when their mothers and fathers created Facebook accounts. The Web site was no longer a safe place for teenagers to tell hordes of friends that,

‘Mom didn’t check under the bed, so she didn’t find my booze.’

People should not refrain from using these Web sites, nor use them at a reduced rate. Users should just remember that their Facebook friends and Twitter followers should be carefully watched and monitored.

Users should also think twice about using the Internet for posting photos, revealing personal information and bragging about their new toys.

After all, it is the World Wide Web. Nothing on it is completely private.

Matthew Keever is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected]