Fanaticism over IKEA font change unnecessary

Thanks to the blend of current events, coupled with numerous domesticated issues across the country, the change of IKEA’s signature typeface from Futura to Verdana font is another issue for consumers to digest.

For more than 60 years, IKEA has represented the charming Swedish vendor of inexpensive, unique home furnishings.

The company’s 2010 catalog delivers familiar appeal, but this time the text is brandished by the not-so-familiar Verdana font.

Although the company has not provided an official reason for the change, IKEA spokeswoman Monika Gocic said the Verdana font is more cost-efficient because Verdana, which is distributed by Microsoft, allows IKEA to use the same font in all countries.

The difference between the fonts is virtually unnoticed. But according to the designers and thousands of fans, the change reflects an unfavorable alteration to the IKEA brand. The main complaint protesters share, besides the font’s ugly appearance, is that the original font portrayed IKEA’s innovative philosophy. The Futura font provided a unique theme that fit the company’s style.

Amid all the tragedies in the news, IKEA’s font fiasco has provoked an immediate hostile response. The uproar created on blogs, Twitter and other social-networking Web sites fueled Romanian design consultant Marius Ursache to start an online petition aimed at persuading IKEA to bring back the Futura font.

So another protest is launched and although it is not quite as desperate, it is crucially alarming in the name of trivial issues.

Verdana is just a text in catalogs and sticking to mundane and safe formalities does not always prevail.

The Rolling Stone is a prime example. The long-formatted magazine has been replaced with the typical off-the-rack magazine format.

This is disappointing, but it still sells. IKEA will sell as well.

The alarm is going off not for the font change, but for the tremendous response it received. This in turn linked this feedback loop to society’s indifference and careless tonality of current events.

Why is there so much uproar over a font? Are we that bored, or have we run out of causes to fight for?

Sadly, we have arrived at the age of narcissistic journalism, a consumer-based lullaby that feeds our society with stocks, sex and empty false idealism.

We have enough hungry children, women’s rights issues, war frontiers and political scandals to rage about. Let’s not let font spam our polls and petitions.

Bissan Rafe is a biology senior and may be reached at [email protected]