FOOTBALL: Tough test awaits Cougars

Saturday’s game against Associated Press No. 5 Oklahoma State presents an enormous challenge for the Cougars, but they are approaching it like any other matchup.

This attitude starts at the top with head coach Kevin Sumlin. He acknowledged that this week will not be the same, but also said his team will focus on the same areas that they concentrate on every week.

‘Obviously, this week will be different ‘hellip; Oklahoma State has really played well,’ Sumlin said. ‘(However), we talk about three things every week: play hard, play smart and be physical.’

Saturday’s game, which will kick off at 2:40 p.m. at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Okla., will provide the Cougars (1-0) with more than a chance to attract high-profile recruits. The contest will give them an idea of how far they have progressed as a program.

‘I’m really interested to see where we are as a program,’ Sumlin said. ‘Going up there right now and playing is a great thing for us. We’re looking forward to it.’

Although he has a lot of respect for the Cowboys, UH quarterback Case Keenum does not appear to be intimidated by their talent.

‘We feel like we have a really good football team,’ Keenum said. ‘If we play well and do what we can do, we have a really good chance. Any team can beat any team on any given Saturday.

‘You have to come out and play at the top of your game every week. It doesn’t matter who you play. We’re going to go out there and play hard.’

Sumlin is taking the same approach, saying his players can only deliver their best performance and hope it’s enough for a win.

‘They have weapons all the time,’ Sumlin said. ‘If we can play as good as we can play, we’re going to be all right ‘hellip; everyone will be happy.’

Cowboys pack a potent punch

Offensive firepower will be a theme of this matchup, as the Cougars and Cowboys boast two of the nation’s most powerful offenses. Center Carl Barnett said although playing aggressive is key, his teammates must know their limits.

‘We’ll do what we do, but know that we have to be aggressive and finish blocks,’ Barnett said. ‘(Oklahoma State is) capable of getting off blocks and making plays.’

Keenum has several explosive options at his disposal, but knows he still has to do his job if UH wants to have success against the Cowboys’ defense.

‘We have a lot of guys who are getting open and some guys up front who are getting a lot better too, as far as protection wise,’ Keenum said. ‘It’s fun to hand off and pass to a lot of different guys who are a lot of fun to watch once they get out in the open. It’s my job to get the ball in their hands.’

On defense, the Cougars must contain three of the nation’s most talented players: quarterback Zac Robinson, running back Kendall Hunter and wide receiver Dez Bryant.

The Cowboys’ ability to utilize their skill players by mixing the run and pass should keep UH’s defense on its heels.

Linebacker Matt Nicholson complimented Oklahoma State’s potent offense, but said its speed and schemes should not surprise his teammates.

‘We treat every game the same, but we’re going to prepare as hard as we can,’ Nicholson said. ‘We’ll have a good idea of what they want to run out of what formations. We’ve got fast guys ‘hellip; but really it’s just executing your game plan.’

Special teams no second fiddle

The Cowboys’ offense is not their only unit capable of putting up points. Oklahoma State’s special teams sports two of the nation’s best returners in Bryant and Perrish Cox.

Cougars punter Chase Turner said it’s his job to put the defense in the best possible starting position, minimizing the duo’s impact.

‘We know how talented they are, and we know what they want to do,’ Turner said. ‘My job is to make it as difficult as possible to do what they want to do, try to keep everything limited to fair catches and not give them a chance to catch the ball.’

UH has not defeated a top-10 opponent on the road since 1984, when Bill Yeoman led the Cougars to a 29-15 victory over then-No. 3 Texas. Three weeks earlier, they defeated No. 6 SMU, 29-20, in Dallas.

Those who remember last season’s 56-37 loss in Stillwater, including wide receiver Tyron Carrier, are not worried about history or the hostile environment that awaits them.

‘I played there last year and know what it’s like,’ Carrier said. ‘Great teams capitalize off mistakes, so if we don’t make any, it can be a great game.’