STAFF EDITORIAL: Palin’s response to Obama increases partisanship

President Barack Obama asked that Americans ‘talk with one another, and not over one another’ in a New York Times editorial last month. Sarah Palin, Sen. John McCain’s running mate in the 2008 presidential election and the former governor of Alaska, responded in a New York Times article of her own.

‘Some 45 years ago, Ronald Reagan said that ‘no one in this country should be denied medical care because of a lack of funds.’ Each of us knows that we have an obligation to care for the old, the young and the sick,’ Palin said. ‘We stand strongest when we stand with the weakest among us.’

Although The Daily Cougar’s editorial board does not share the same opinion concerning health care, we do agree that Sarah Palin is in no position to give an objective response to Obama’s request. Not only did Palin give her opinion, she also disregarded the president’s call for a united, bipartisan discussion about health care.

‘Democrats have never seriously considered such ideas, instead rushing through their own controversial proposals. After all, they don’t need Republicans to sign on: Democrats control the House, the Senate and the presidency,’ Palin wrote. ‘But if passed, the Democrats’ proposals will significantly alter a large sector of our economy. They will not improve our health care. They will not save us money. And, despite what the president says, they will not ‘provide more stability and security to every American.”

The American public has not yet made clear whether they will approve of the president’s plan or not. What they have made clear is that Sarah Palin does not represent them.

Palin’s response has received over 1,500 responses. If nothing else, for someone the mainstream media seems to consider an idiot, she has definitely made a statement.