UH falls short on swine flu vaccinations

The infamous swine flu outbreak took on a domestic flavor this week when the number of students with suspected cases increased. Clearly, the H1N1 virus never looked or tasted quite like this.

After considering the absurdity that hundreds of our fellow college students could be at risk, one can only be reminded of the damages caused by last year’s suspension of classes because of Hurricane Ike. Will this be the case facing the new pandemic threat?

The University of Houston distributed printouts explaining the virus. Those printouts are available in the UH Health Center and have been sent via e-mail to the student body.

According to the information provided, the virus appears no more severe than the typical seasonal flu, but strains appear to be frequent for those under the age of 50 because the younger generation was not exposed to a similar virus back in the ’70s.

Nonetheless, symptoms, prevention and treatments were also included in the information provided, but no words on the cancelation of classes were mentioned if the virus is to breakout.

The University’s health center offers only ‘seasonal flu vaccine shots for $16, available for students, staff and faculty,’ said Executive Secretary Kathy Fire.

When asked if there is a possibility of Relenza or Tamiflu available in the near future, Fire said, ‘We are not certain at this point.’

These medicines work best if they are received within 48 hours of showing symptoms, so if the peak of the outbreak is expected to be in mid-October, why is the University still uncertain? Are e-mailed warnings and seasonal flu vaccines the only plans to protect the future of America?

To consider the seriousness of the matter, swine flu could infect half the U.S. population by the upcoming winter.

Ninety thousand deaths are estimated to occur, according to a presidential panel report released Monday. Although most of the cases would be mild, up to 300,000 people may require intensive care, assuming the virus will not mutate. Labeled as ‘fairly serious’ by Dr. Harold E. Varmus of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, one can only hope for more efforts to raise awareness about the swine flu virus.

Since the discovery of the virus last spring in Mexico, it quickly spread to the United States and around the world. Although less severe than initially anticipated, the virus has infected children and young adults recurrently, unlike the typical seasonal flu.

On a national level, the federal government signed contracts estimated at $2 billion to buy a minimum of 159 million doses of H1N1 vaccine from five companies in haste production.

The earliest consignment is expected to be available in mid-October, at the outbreak’s climax. This reoccurring response-delay pattern seen in almost all of the U.S. health system is alarming, and the recession definitely hinders the situation.

As this semester unfolds, it is up to the student body to take matters into its own hands.

When experiencing regular flu symptoms, one should show courtesy toward a fellow student.

Human-to-human transmission of the H1N1 flu virus occurs the same way as seasonal flu. Following common hygiene practices and wearing facemasks could make this campus a bit safer. According to CNN, facemasks could prevent infection and spread of the virus.

At the risk of looking like Shredder, the villain from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, students should consider wearing a facemask.

Vaccinations and the mediocre clich’eacute; of a mask, which is not only native in Japan, are a few of the inexpensive precautions one can take to keep the students of this university safe.

Take the risk of permanently scarring your cat or neighbor and wear a mask.

Bissan Rafe is a biology senior and may be reached at [email protected]