STAFF EDITORIAL: With one helmet returned, magic number becomesì3îù

Few will fault the thousands of UH fans who stormed the field at Robertson Stadium after the Cougars’ 29-28 win over Texas Tech on Saturday.

The game had a storybook ending, and fans might not have had another chance to storm the field this season.

Plus, the event was relatively harmless, except for the fact that four UH football players lost their helmets during the confusion.

The disclosure was first made known by UH head coach Kevin Sumlin, who wrote Monday on his Twitter profile: ‘Saturday night was fun, but it will be hard for 3 of our guys to play this week without their helmets. Please return, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.’

The Houston Chronicle’s Steve Campbell, who covers the UH beat, reported in his blog (http://blogs.chron.com/cougars/) Tuesday that linebacker Marcus McGraw had also lost his helmet.

Only one helmet had been returned as of Wednesday.

It seems as if a few fans had a little too much fun after Saturday’s game. Whatever their stories, it doesn’t matter now. They should simply return the helmets and refrain from such behavior in the future. More so, all fans should be prudent when entering the field.

The safety of players and coaches on both teams, officials and fans is always at risk when people rush the field. People can suffer injuries, and altercations are always a possibility. The last thing players and coaches need to worry about is trying to protect their equipment and other belongings with thousands of fans milling about them.

With that said, there are some fans who left Robertson Stadium with helmets that they didn’t walk in with. Here’s to hoping they do the right thing and return the property to their rightful owners before the Cougars leave town Friday for their game against UTEP on Saturday.

If you want to return the helmets and remain anonymous, contact The Daily Cougar at 713-743-5360 or [email protected]. We’ll ensure that the helmets reach their owners.