DO IT YOURSELF: Sharpie writes new chapter

Sharpie is writing a new chapter in DIY fashion history.’ Sharpie debuted its first ever Sharpie Bar on select days during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, inviting editors and attendees to grab Sharpie markers and get creative. At the Sharpie DIY Lounge, guests became the designers. Plain white accessories, apparel items and, of course, plenty of Sharpie markers were on hand for guests to embellish their favorite accessories that included, T-shirts, sunglasses, ties, bags and bangles.

American fashion designer Betsey Johnson was present to unveil an exclusive Betsey Johnson Sharpie Shirt. Johnson’s designs echoed the customization trend, letting wearers complete the designs she started on shirts by adding their own Sharpie styles.’

‘Everything I draw, write, sign, doodle is with a Sharpie marker,’ Johnson said. ‘These days, the real fashion trend is all about expressing your individual self and style. Sharpie is the perfect tool to do just that, whether on paper, fabric, or other materials.’

Johnson, a breast cancer survivor, went one step further and created an exclusive shirt for City of Hope cancer research center. City of Hope will auction it off along with breast cancer awareness-inspired canvasses from a host of Fashion Week designers in October during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

DIY guru and founder of ‘P.S. I made this’hellip;’ Erica Domesek was also on hand as the official Sharpie stylist, demonstrating a variety of designs and techniques.’

The marker company’s YouTube channel, SharpieUS, showcases commercials and DIY videos on how to use Sharpie markers in everyday life.’

The videos show how to use Sharpies on a shirt using a glass-top table, a lamp, Sharpies and spray starch. Similarly to T-shirts, people use Sharpies on jeans. Some write poems or quotes, draw doodles, or create unique designs such as a tic-tac-toe board to be filled in using chalk so the marks can be erased in the washing machine.’

When marking on shoes, the tutorial explains that the pen strokes should go in the same direction when coloring in designs ‘- which would seem to hold true with Converse or other canvas sneakers.’

Sharpie is inviting everyone to ‘Uncap What’s Inside’ by submitting their own fashion creations to the site.’ Personalized markers also unveiled during Fashion Week featured the logos of such designers as Marc Jacobs, Milly, and DKNY. Anyone can design their own personalized Sharpie markers by visiting www.mysharpie.com.

Also in conjunction with Office Depot, Sharpie is holding a contest to decorate a backpack using a template and two Sharpie markers. The grand prizewinner will have their backpack featured on the website and also sold in select Office Depot stores. Voting takes place on Oct. 18.