Nationally ranked festival returns to Downtown

This year, the Bayou City Art Festival ‘- which was nationally ranked in the most recent AmericanStyle Magazine readers’ poll ‘- will celebrate its 13th anniversary Oct. 10-11. The fine arts festival, framed by the Houston skyline, is an outdoor gallery filled with visual, performing, culinary and interactive arts for patrons of all ages.

‘Based on our award-winning reputation, Bayou City Art Festival attracts the ‘best of the best’ artists from all over the U.S. to exhibit their works in Houston,’ producer Joe Pogge said.’

Former Alpha Chi Omega alumna and Houston ‘it’ girl, Beth Bryant, who was involved in the planning, said that nearly $2.5 million has been raised for local nonprofits since the festival’s inception in 1971. This year, over 850 national and international artists vied to be showcased in 300 juried positions, which is nearly a 20 percent increase from 2008’s all-time record.

Over the two-day festival, art lovers will flock to downtown in and around City Hall to browse the streets lined with artists’ booths, where they can interact with artists one-on-one and take part in the Capital One Bank Creative Zone.

The festival will also encompass the newly renovated Houston Public Library Downtown Plaza and the Sam Houston Park. The Capital One Bank Creative Zone will allow children to experience the fun of making projects that they will be able to take with them. ‘

Other exciting entertainment will include the Houston Arts Alliance performance stage with multicultural musical and dance shows and art demonstrations, such as origami, pottery and guitar making.’

A slew of restaurants and wine caf’eacute;s will be on hand to offer American and international cuisine. New this fall is the Epicurean Adventure presented by the Houstonian Lite Health Club, with wine tastings and free professional chefs’ cooking demonstrations.’

Tickets are $10 for adults and free for children 12 and under.