Alma Mater recitation vital for pride

What would happen if I asked most people associated with UH to sing the Alma Mater? Would they know the words? And why is a school’s Alma Mater important?

At institutions of higher learning across the nation, one of the most prominent symbols of a school’s pride and vision is its Alma Mater. A song has the profound ability to amplify a message. Moreover, music has a unique ability to engage and integrate.

This method of fostering hope and vision is pervasive across many cultures and kinships. For instance, the playing of a country’s national anthem, or when an athlete’s theme song is played before a competition.

A perfect example is the Olympic ceremony: at the culmination of the events, all members of the U.S. Olympic team will stand and sing our national anthem, regardless of unique backgrounds or factions. The song unites the athletes under a single banner of hope and dedication.’

A song can be an instrument that builds a focal point for stakeholders in a vision.

When the Alma Mater is sung at many schools, however, it seems to lose the initial luster or the intended impact of the song and lyrics as they were originally written.’

Watch people closely. Do they really know the words? If not, maybe this is because most Alma Maters were written for a different generation.’

Each generation has evolved in its musical tastes, a change occurring at an increasingly rapid pace today. So, how can we preserve the Alma Mater’s message and combat the propensity many of them have to become stale or outdated?

There are huge changes and challenges that our institution has courageously decided to acknowledge, most notably the attainment of flagship status. But how does UH resurrect the school’s Alma Mater at a time when all our energies are focused on fostering integration?

What would happen at the commencement ceremony this year if they decided to have the attendees sing the Alma Mater? Are we ready? More importantly, is it relevant?