Childish actions in times of anger not OK

Everyone wants a little respect and common courtesy. Whether you’re fuming with anger because a stranger cut you off in traffic or because your mother threw away your mail without asking, everyone understands the desire for some decency.

Lifeslittleannoyances.com, a blog about the everyday pet peeves of ordinary people, recently ran a story about Ross McDuff, a bachelor who felt disrespected by the neighbors who shared his apartment’s laundry room. ‘

His impatient neighbors would take his damp, clean laundry out of the washing machine and put it on the dryer or the floor whenever they were ready to wash their clothes. ‘

In retaliation, McDuff would stop his neighbors’ dryer cycles. Whenever they would come to retrieve their clothes, they wouldn’t be dry. Childish, but effective.

McDuff’s situation is something many of us can identify with. The rudeness of others sets us off, but in the heat of our irritation, are we considering our own actions against others?’

We all have our own theories about turning the other cheek and karma. However, it’s almost impossible for anyone to deny that our stress is turning us into monsters.’

Here on the UH campus, frantic people rush between their classes, dorms and jobs with little concern for who they bump into or cut off along the way.’

In the library, students on entertainment and social networking Web sites will ignore someone looking at their watch, carrying a stack of books and waiting only to print something.

We’re all adults here, and we need to reevaluate the importance of treating others the way we want to be treated.’

In this fast-paced world, many of us struggle enough to take care of ourselves, and we fail to see the benefits of respecting others.’

Keeping in mind the needs of the people around us will not only make them feel better, but it will encourage a calmer environment.’

From an outsider’s view, McDuff’s story is an entertaining one to laugh at, but his actions probably caused more harm than good.’

It is difficult to ignore such a situation or tactfully approach the guilty party when provoked, but it is possible. For the sake of keeping the peace, all of us must learn to keep our tempers in line.