Cinema most influential in college years

Nothing entertains us like movies. A film can make us feel a variety of things such as joy, sadness, anger and fear. In some cases, a film can even make us want to change the world.

The years we spend in college are some of the most influential of our lives. At no other time are we forced to adjust to a new environment in which so many ages and ethnic groups collide, with the resulting outcome of learning from new experiences. When we go to see a movie, the way it depicts protagonists of our age group in realistic situations such as risk, bravery and even comedy, can form a lasting impression on us. It can show how we should act in the same situations. ‘

Movies show us who we are and whom we want to become by how we relate to different characters and the situations they find themselves in. We are affected by movies in many different ways, but the most common is when a character faces issues similar to ones we face in our own lives. The outcome of a well-crafted story can awaken in us passions we never knew existed, or finally illuminate one we’ve always had. When we see characters like ourselves achieve their goals, it influences us. Movies can also simply be an escape from the brutish realities of the world, or a break from the tiring responsibilities we deal with every day.

There is a group of movies that every college student must see. Films such as The Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction and Fight Club are vital to understanding the college lifestyle. These cult films generate discussion on a daily basis not only on college campuses, but also in the rest of society. Stores such as Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic sell shirts that depict certain movies and their more memorable quotes in clever ways.’

Society generally focuses on movies for better and for worse. An example of this would be midnight showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Fans dress up in drag and do their best to be bad examples to young children.’

The power of cinema reaches far into our lives as another form of socialization, helping us relate to each other. Funny quotes, scary scenes and complicated story lines all bring us together for discussion and criticism, leading us to a better understanding of one another.’

In the words of French filmmaker Fran’ccedil;ois Truffaut, ‘Cinema is an improvement on life.’