SOCCER: Cougars making postseason push

If the UH soccer team is going to make it to the Conference USA tournament, it will have to earn some wins against stiff comeptition today and Saturday.

The Cougars wrap up their Conference USA schedule this weekend with road matches against UTEP at 7 p.m. today and Colorado College at’ noon Sunday.

UH finished its home schedule with a loss to Central Florida on Sunday, and are in dire need of positive results if they want to make the postseason. The team has a match remaining against Rice on Oct. 30, but UH will need a strong showing this weekend to make that match about more than just bragging rights.

The Cougars’ eight C-USA matches have yielded a record of 2-4-2, which currently puts them in 10th place in the conference.

UTEP is coming off a resounding 2-0 triumph over East Carolina, powered by senior Chelsea Winbush. The midfielder scored a pair of goals in the first 22 minutes, giving the Miners all the offense they needed to win.

While UTEP is tied for second place behind C-USA leader UCF, the Miners will still be playing to cement their spot amongst the six playoff teams, and also for a first-round bye.

Sunday’s opponent, Colorado College, is also tied for second place in C-USA, and like the Miners, will have plenty to play for. The Tigers’ most recent match saw them turn into goal gluttons, striking four times in a road shutout of Marshall.

Depending on the Tigers’ and Cougars’ results Friday, Sunday’s match could be equally important for each squad.

UH needs to gain ground if they want to get into the postseason. Sixth-ranked Tulsa has a conference record of 4-4 and has 12 points. The Cougars, with eight points, will need a strong finish and a little luck to have any chance of getting in.