University helps students find jobs

We all know that the global economy is in a recession, and we all know how it affects us now, but what about our futures?

The job market has taken a hit, and is much more competitive than it was five years ago. National unemployment is almost at 10 percent compared to the 4 percent in 2000.

Texas alone has an 8 percent unemployment rate, the highest it has been in 22 years. Will an education from UH be worth anything when the time comes to leave the shelter of higher-learning and enter the professional world? Overall, a degree from UH is at the least, solid, and can be stronger depending on your major.

UH has top-ranked schools such as the C.T. Bauer College of Business, the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management (HRM) and the Hines College of Architecture.

Bauer is ranked 63rd in the nation, according to U.S. News and World Report, which puts it in the top 5 percent of all business programs in the U.S. HRM was ranked third in the nation by the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, and is the go-to place for Houston-area restaurants looking for managers.

The architecture school is one of only 36 programs in the nation to be accredited for both bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. But not everyone at UH is in these programs.

‘I’m planning on doing internships (and) undergrad research, then going on to graduate or pharmacy school,’ biochemistry sophomore Yekki Song said. ‘Especially in the sciences, you can’t really do much with a bachelor’s degree.’

‘Nothing’s a guarantee. Having a degree from a different university might be better, but it’s not about the degree. You have to have a r’eacute;sum’eacute;,’ political science and English junior Rachel Farhi said.

She’s right – companies are looking for experience, and it seems like the best option for students, the way they can be the most competitive in a cutthroat job market, is to find an internship while still in school and get experience before everyone else. Students also have the opportunity to continue their education after earning their bachelor’s degrees.

For those of us less educationally inclined, UH has some powerful resources and connections when it comes to finding a job. The University Career Center has connections with major Houston businesses, and can help students find internships and even jobs after graduation. Some colleges, such as the Cullen College of Engineering, even have their own career services.

However, no matter what the job market looks like, students should not pick a degree based on how the economy is doing. Do something that you can wake up to and, more often than not, say, ‘I love what I do.’

When it comes down to it, life is not about money, power or even success; it’s about happiness. Of course you should be able to make a living, but make a living doing what makes you happy.

Michael Padon is a computer engineering sophomore and may be reached at [email protected]