Students welcome fall weather

Cooler weather, less humidity and softer sunlight are all things that UH students notice immediately at the start of fall.

Fall is one of the most enjoyable seasons in Houston; its comfort is savored until it’s gone. Many things bring the warm feeling of fall before it fully arrives ‘- apple cider, frequent cool breezes and temperatures in the 70s.

There’s more to fall than just the immediate perks. It’s a time of year that brings a different mood. Starting in September and lasting through December, it often seems as though magic is in the air.

This seasonal phenomenon is something that makes us cherish what we have to be thankful for. Despite what holidays your family recognizes, the weather alone is coveted in Houston.

Coming off grueling summers, autumn lends a much-needed cool down. There’s nothing like walking around your favorite part of Houston with a group of friends and not worrying about being too hot or too cold; maybe too wet, but it’s worth it.

It’s not often that Houstonians notice the changing of the seasons. Unlike certain Texas cities, Houston has dramatic seasonal transformations. It’s hot, humid and sticky, or it’s cold, wet and harsh. The enjoyable parts in between are what shift us into higher spirits.

I have compiled a list of 18 signs that it’s fall on the UH campus. Here are some indications that autumn has arrived:

1. Students can be observed walking at a leisurely pace, soaking in the optimal weather, as opposed to running from the extreme heat.

2. Some students leave running shorts in closet drawers and switch to pants.

3. The number of Frappuccinos sold at the campus Starbucks decreases and the number of cups of coffee and hot chocolate increases.

4. More people gather to play Frisbee in front of the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.

5. Football is in full swing, and campus pride is too.

6. Red and blue UH hoodies are worn all over campus.

7. Tables and chairs on the patio of The Den become harder to find.

8. Pumpkin Spice Lattes at the University Center Satellite become popular commodities.

9. Students start counting down to Thanksgiving weekend and plan how much they will sleep in.

10. The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center prepares to put on its free haunted house, which is worth a visit.

11. Students roll their car windows down and enjoy the fall air, instead of maxing out their air conditioning units.

12. Campus romance seems to magically increase.

13. Football fanatics go to games with their bodies painted and have better odds of not sweating off their proudly painted designs.

14. Students start pulling out their cute scarves just to show them off ‘- not because they are needed.

15. You can tell that the students wearing heavy jackets and hats in high-60 and low-70 degree weather are native Houstonians.

16. Students start brainstorming Halloween costume ideas and plans.

17. There’s still a chance the outside temperature is in the 80s.

18. Walking’ across campus’ is no longer the equivalent to time spent in a steam room or sauna.

Andrew Taylor is an economics junior and may be reached at [email protected]