RESERVATIONS FOR SIX: Benson enjoying return to limelight

In a society plagued by egocentric and lawbreaking athletes, it’s somewhat refreshing to see one make the most of a second chance.

Cedric Benson is doing just that, cherishing his second chance in the NFL with the 5-2 Cincinnati Bengals, and he is having by far the best season of his career.

The former Texas Longhorn and 2005 first round draft pick of the Chicago Bears has been through it all, and was on top of the world before his downhill slide. One can only imagine how he must feel now.

During his time at Texas, he was constantly compared to predecessor Ricky Williams. In 2001, Benson was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers to play baseball.

Then he went’ through drug and alcohol-related incidents, which ultimately led to his release from the Bears following the 2007 season. Benson found himself as a’ free-agent running back whose career was in danger, until the Bengals called in 2008.

Benson signed with the team Sept. 30, and was in the starting lineup by Week 7.’ He finished 2008 with 747 rushing yards, two touchdowns and three 100-yard rushing games, bypassing then-starter Chris Perry as the team’s top running back.

His turnaround brought about an interesting off-season. The Houston Texans did all they could to lure the Texas alumnus to team up with Steve Slaton and give the Texans a two-headed running back monster.

Benson decided to stay with the Bengals, a team known for fostering troubled players such as Tank Johnson and Chris Henry.’ He signed a two-year deal worth $7 million and subsequently established himself among the top running backs in the NFL.

Benson is leading the NFL in rushing this season with 164 carries for a whopping 720 yards and five touchdowns. Last week, Benson carried the ball 37 times for a career-high 189 yards as the Bengals beat the Bears 45-10 to stay atop the tough AFC-North division.

Benson’s replacement in Chicago, Matt Forte, managed only 49 total yards in the loss.
Fans have to be happy and excited for players like Benson, who take their second chances to do something great and run with them.

Benson has given Bengals fans something to cheer about, currently on pace for over 1600 rushing yards and possibly a Pro Bowl appearance.

Other troubled players should take a page from Benson’s book and try repairing their own damaged images. Benson should be proud and continue on his road to redemption.